Sunday, May 21, 2017

LESSONS LEARNED BUYING (AND SELLING) AT ESTATE SALES

This weekend we again hit a local estate sale. This one was just on the next road from us, and I have never had attended a sale with this dealer. The photos are line didn't reveal much. First of all they did not give out numbers. That was an indication that this dealer was a bit off from the professionals I usually deal with. I discovered this dealer actually owned her own antique shop. Bad sign. We were
allowed to enter the houses and barns at the specified time without any speech from the dealer. Again a deviation from most other dealers. Inside I found a few interesting items but high prices. I did find a small bag of buttons, a yard stick and several bud vases at good prices.

Upon entering the barns I was delighted to discover a small, red, industrial shelf. Hubby and I got it down from the cabinet it was on, and we carried it outside.
After paying $25 for it we went back to other buildings and the house to pay for the other items. After paying we drove our car down to pick up the industrial shelf we were approached by a gentleman wanting to buy the shelf. I had estimated I could get around $75 dollars for it in my shop after I cleaned it up. So I asked him to make an offer. His offer was $50. I counter offered $75. We bickered back and forth, and I ended up taking $65 for the shelf. Could I have gotten more in my booth? Perhaps but I was very happy making $40 on an item I only carried out of a barn.

We returned to the sale on half price day. I looked for several items I had wanted and found one or two. Then we headed to the barns again. In the barn, which was a much emptier than two days before I discovered a large stack of tin ceiling tiles. As my hubby "guarded" our find, I walked a tile up to the dealer to determine the price. She gave me a price of $15 for a stack knee high. However, upon returning to the barn I realized there was a great big pile of the tiles. I asked one of the dealer's helper to find out how much all of them would be. At that point her husband came and changed the price on me. Saying that she said I had to pay $1 each and everyone else would have to pay $2. I loaded 20 on our truck and a big old iron bed we had also found. I texted a friend to see if he wanted the tile. Upon asking to buy more I was told someone else had purchased all of them. Who was it? Her buddy who picks for her and does heavy lifting etc. for her.

So a lesson was learned here. Sometimes this is a dog eat dog business. If you see something you want. Buy it. If you are given a price, stand up for yourself.  I don't like negativity or arguing as negative energy drains me and stifles my creativity. If you are interested in an item. Don't walk away from it. I should have bargained for all of them. The fault is all mine. Buy what you love. Take a risk.




No comments:

Post a Comment