Sunday, June 11, 2017

Paper Dolls

Box of Vintage Paper Dolls
Did you play with paper dolls when you were little? Uh Oh I think I just gave away my age. When I
was young paper dolls were a popular toy. Last year I bought a box of old paper dolls at an auction. Hubby thought I was losing it, and I really had no idea what I was going to do with them. But as I always say, "Buy what you love." and I loved paper dolls as a child.

So for the last year those cute paper dolls sat on a shelf in the storage side of my basement, but in the back of mind they were floating around. I researched Pinterest a few times but found few ideas I liked. Then one day I decided to frame some of the dresses. I found an old shadow box type frame at a flea market to use. I took the art out of the frame and glued some blue scrapbook paper to the inside for a background. Then I took mat that came with the frame and spray painted it a contrasting color of orange. I chose a couple of cute 60's style dresses and glued them to the background. I spray painted the frame white and sanded it to give it a worn look. Finally I put the whole thing back together. I like the results.


A few days later I found another bargain shadowbox frame that was a little larger. This time I used some cute striped paper as a background and used some washi tape on the mat. Washi tape is a beautiful type of paper tape sold as most craft stores now. I chose several great old paper doll outfits to glue to the background. As before I painted the frame white and sanded it a bit.

For the next box I found a cute idea on Pinterest where they created a clothesline and hung the paper doll dresses on it. This time I took and old silverware box I had and found a frame that fit it. Then I painted both parts. I made a clothes rod out of a wooden skewer and attached it to the sides. I used pink scrapbook paper and another cute washi tape to cover the insides of the box as well as the mat. I made hangers out of craft wire and glued the clothing on it. On the skirt I used little clothespins. Then I attached the frame to box. In this picture on of the dresses is crooked but I can shake it an straighten it out.

The final paper doll item I created was a clothesline banner or garland. I used twine and glued a selection of vintage paper doll clothes to the twine. Then I tied the string in bows at the ends. I love how these turned out but with anything new I have no idea if they will sell. I'll keep you updated.








No comments:

Post a Comment